Internship with the UNHCR Office for Switzerland and Liechtenstein in Bern
The UNHCR Office for Switzerland and Liechtenstein offers attractive internships with the legal/protection unit
as well as the public relations unit. The internships are available throughout the year and usually last six months.
The Office acts as a country office for Switzerland and Liechtenstein. We work closely with the Swiss authorities,
non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and other relevant actors in Switzerland and Liechtenstein for the
protection of asylum seekers, refugees and stateless people. We also seek to support governments to find
durable solutions for refugees.
Legal / Protection Internship, located in Bern
• Conduct legal and factual research and collect information on a wide range of protection topics and on
countries of origin.
• Analyse the situation of asylum seekers, refugees and stateless persons in Switzerland and
• Support in individual cases management and answer questions from refugees.
• Support the drafting of reports, briefing notes and background papers on matters relevant to UNHCR
protection activities in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
• Provide support in organizing trainings and workshops.
• Translate documents and correspondence.
• Perform other tasks as required.
In order to be considered eligible for an internship, the following criteria must be fulfilled:
• Be a recent graduate or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a
university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO.
• Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field of law, political science or related
studies and a particular interest in refugee protection and human rights.
• Practical experience in / good knowledge of the Swiss asylum and international refugee law.
• Excellent knowledge of English, as well as French or German, and good knowledge of the other
• Research experience and strong drafting skills.
What makes this position attractive
Our interns are part of a small but dynamic team and benefit from individual supervision. They are involved in
day to day tasks, but are also entrusted with specific longer and shorter term projects. It is important for us that
interns profit from the given tasks and learn more about UNHCR’s mandate and activities. There is also the
possibility of partial home-office arrangements.
Interns receive an allowance of 2707 CHF/month. They are expected to make their own arrangements for travel,
visa, accommodation and living expenses during the internship period. Please be aware that this internship
does not carry any expectation or entitlement to employment with UNHCR at the conclusion of the internship or
at any time thereafter. Contact for questions: Tina Vidmar (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please apply through our careers page: JR2318224 Protection/Legal Intern. The deadline for application is
31 May 2023. The successful candidate would ideally start in August 2023.
We look forward to your application!
UNHCR OFFICE FOR SWITZERLAND AND LIECHTENSTEIN – WWW.UNHCR.CH