UNIL is a leading international teaching and research institution, with over 5,000 employees and 17,000 students split between its Dorigny campus, CHUV and Epalinges. As an employer, UNIL encourages excellence, individual recognition and responsibility.
At the Swiss Graduate School of Public Administration (IDHEAP) of the Faculty of Law, Criminal Justice and Public Administration at the University of Lausanne, the research unit “Strategy and Organization” invites applications for a position of:
PhD Candidate 100%
Are you passionate about improving the functioning of the public sector in a digital world? Do you enjoy engaging in research and want to become part of an international research community? Are you interested in how public organizations can govern digital projects more successfully, producing better outcomes, such as improved performance and increased public value? If you answered these questions with “yes”, then this job is for you!
At the Swiss Graduate School of Public Administration (IDHEAP) in the Faculty of Law, Criminal Justice and Public administration of the University of Lausanne, we have an exciting opening for a Ph.D. researcher. The position is part of a project funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) entitled “The role of governance in public sector digitalization (RoGoDi)”, which is jointly carried out by researchers at the University of Lausanne and the University of Bern. You will be attached to the research unit “Strategy and Organization”, directed by Prof. Dr. Oliver Neumann in Lausanne, but also regularly travel to and work in Bern, enabling you to discover two different regions of Switzerland. You will be part of a team with a modern, autonomous working culture. The candidate is expected to write a doctoral thesis within the realm of the project.
Expected start date in position : 01.06.2023 or to be agreed
Contract length : 1 year, renewable up to 4 years in total
Activity rate : 100%
Workplace :IDHEAP, partial work from home possible
The PhD Candidate is expected to develop and complete a doctoral research project on a topic related to the governance of digital initiatives and projects in the public sector, focusing on how this type of governance can be improved so that digital projects are more likely to succeed.
The project takes a mixed-method approach, using quantitative and qualitative data and methods to investigate multiple research questions related to the governance of digitalization initiatives in Switzerland.
• Master’s degree, or new completion, in public management, information systems, management, political science or related disciplines.
• Skilled in quantitative methods, and willingness to refine your methodological skills.
• Knowledge of the Swiss political and administrative system is an asset.
• Passionate about learning and reliable, creative, take-charge personality.
• Able to work autonomously and deliver results on time.
• Fluency in written and spoken English.
• French and/or German skills are an asset.
What the position offers you
• Attractive salary and excellent work conditions in an expanding institute at the University of Lausanne.
• Multicultural and diverse work environment in a team spanning two Swiss universities.
• Access to national and international training programs and the possibility to conduct part of your doctoral research abroad.
Contact for further information
For more information, contact Prof. Dr. Oliver Neumann: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline : 19.05.2023
Please upload a motivation letter, CV, a writing sample (e. g. your master’s thesis) and your grades obtained in your master’s. Only applications through this website will be considered. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
We thank you for your understanding.
UNIL is committed to equal opportunities and diversity.
UNIL supports early career researchers.