The Department of Political Science (IPZ) at the University of Zurich (UZH) (http://www.ipz.uzh.ch) invites applications for a PhD position in the research group of Thomas Widmer, who holds a professorship in Political Science with focus on Evaluation. The IPZ offers excellent research support in a vibrant research community and is committed to advancing young scholars’ careers
The PhD position is linked to the project “Successful trajectories for reducing flight-related greenhouse gas emissions at UZH (Red-UZH)” which deals with the assessment of the effectiveness of select measures to combat climate change.
The PhD student is involved in the above-mentioned project and is working on his/her doctoral thesis in this context. The PhD student will be enrolled in the Political Science doctoral program, which offers advanced methodological and substantive training. Collaboration in ongoing research within the IPZ und beyond is encouraged.
• MA/MSc in political science or in a related discipline.
• Interest in the evaluation of measures to combat climate change.
• Solid training in social science methods (preferably qualitative and quantitative)
• Ability to work independently and in a team.
• Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
• Very good working knowledge of German and English; knowledge of French and/or Italian is an asset.
What we offer
• An inspiring, engaging, and collegial work environment.
• Possibility to develop the dissertation project, supported by a dedicated supervisor
• 4 years of funding (conditional on approval of the PhD proposal by the end of the 1st year).
• Salary approximately 50’000 CHF per year (gross salary).
Place of work: Zurich-Oerlikon Start of employment: February 1, 2024 (or by arrangement)
Closing date for applications: December 8, 2023 The IPZ aims to increase the diversity of its members and thus explicitly invites applications from women and other traditionally underrepresented groups.
Further inquiries can be directed to Thomas Widmer (email@example.com)
Please send your application electronically as one PDF file comprising your letter of interest, a current CV, transcripts, a writing sample (e.g. Master thesis), and the contact details of two people willing to serve as a reference together with the following PDF form with the subject “PhD position Widmer Red-UZH”, to firstname.lastname@example.org.