The UNHCR Office for Switzerland and Liechtenstein offers attractive internships with the legal/protection unit as well as the external relations unit. The internships are available throughout the year and usually last six months. The Office acts as a country office for Switzerland and Liechtenstein. We work closely with the Swiss authorities, non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and other relevant actors in Switzerland and Liechtenstein for the protection of asylum seekers, refugees and stateless people.
External Relations Internship, located in Berne
- Assist with the compilation of a daily press review.
- Assist with the development and implementation of awareness raising activities.
- Support our cooperation with institutions, companies, media, etc.
- Draft articles and other texts.
- Do research and translation work.
- Support the website and social media activities.
- Support the organisation of events.
- Perform other tasks as required.
In order to be considered eligible for an internship, the following criteria must be fulfilled:
- Be a recent graduate or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a
university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO.
- Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in media, international relations or related
studies and have a particular interest in refugee protection.
- Excellent knowledge of English, as well as German or French, and good knowledge of the other
- Strong drafting skills.
- Good general working knowledge of communication and public relations principles and methods.
- Working knowledge of content management systems and social media.
- Knowledge of the Swiss media landscape and Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Premiere Pro) is an
What makes this position attractive
Our interns are part of a small but dynamic team and benefit from individual supervision. They are involved in day-to-day tasks, but are also entrusted with specific longer and shorter term projects. It is important for us that interns profit from the given tasks and learn more about UNHCR’s mandate and activities. There is also the possibility of hybrid working, i.e. a combination of teleworking and on-site presence at the office in Berne.
Interns receive an allowance of 2707 CHF/month. They are expected to make their own arrangements for travel, visa, accommodation and living expenses during the internship period. Please be aware that this internship does not carry any expectation or entitlement to employment with UNHCR at the conclusion of the internship or at any time thereafter.
Please apply through UNHCR careers page: JR2317126: External Relations Intern. The deadline for application is 10 May 2023. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a test.
The successful candidate would ideally start mid-July 2023.
We look forward to your application!
UNHCR OFFICE FOR SWITZERLAND AND LIECHTENSTEIN – WWW.UNHCR.CH