Location: Swissnex in San Francisco Status:
Start Date: Full-time, 40 hours/week August 1, 2023
Duration: 6-12 months
Reports to: Senior Communications Manager
Swissnex is the Swiss global network connecting the dots in education, research, and innovation. The Swissnex global network consists of six locations and outposts established in the world’s most innovative hubs. We contribute to strengthening Switzerland’s profile as a world-leading innovation hotspot.
Located at Pier 17, Swissnex in San Francisco connects the dots between Switzerland and the West Coast of the USA in education, research, innovation, and the arts. We foster international collaboration and empower next generation innovators to create futures in which the planet and society thrives. In service of this goal, our dynamic and international team produces academic, corporate and creative industry programs, startup bootcamps, events and much more.
Our work space is shared with corporate innovators, researchers, artists, and entrepreneurs, and is connected to an event space and our digital community. We work collaboratively and in a complementary manner with our neighbors at Pier 17, the Consulate General, the Swiss Business Hub USA, and Switzerland Tourism.
The Communications Associate is a flexible individual who is excited to be a part of our innovative communications team, and able to respond to requests and adapt as needed to new and changing responsibilities.
The Communications Associate will play a crucial role in communicating about both digital, hybrid and in-person formats of our programs, which include the Startup Bootcamp, the Swiss Design Accelerator, and the Global Game Developers Conference. The Associate will also play a key role working at the intersection between the communications and the program teams.
This internship offers unique exposure to international experts and thought-leaders from a variety of fields and the possibility to learn hands-on about event, conference and activity communications. The Communications Associate will learn hands-on about communications, social media, marketing, PR/Press, and content production and works closely with the Senior Communications Manager and the direction of the Head of Strategic Communications.
As part of a small team with a bottom-up, informal culture, the Communications Associate can shape communications and content production and outcomes, and learn with and from colleagues, partners and stakeholders, and build their own professional network within Silicon Valley’s innovation ecosystem.
Event & Programs Communications (60%)
- Create content to support and promote our activities and programs on all available communication channels
- Support in setting up communication plans for programs, attend internal programs meetings and participate in project meetings when required.
- Support the Communications Team to produce content such as videos, reels, photography either in house or with external partners.
- Support with the communications deliverables related to partner contracts including press outreach for the Swiss Design Accelerator or publications management, and communications signage for the Game Developers Conference.
- Support marketing outreach for public events.
- Attend day and evening events each month to cover communications tasks such as social media.
- Send and manage follow-up communication with attendees after events.
General Swissnex Communications (30%)
- Plan, write and publish relevant copy for social media, mostly LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.
- Oversee the dialogue and engage with our community on social media.
- Assist in growing our channels and communities across all channels with creative ideas.
- Upload, promote and manage job listings on several different channels
- Manage partner communications and content.
- Draft, proof-read, and publish content for the monthly newsletter, our website and other channels.
- Review and analyze communications data, make suggestions to improve future communication plans and adjust content as needed.
- Contribute to blog posts and other content pieces around trends and Swissnex’s foresight activities.
- Support us in growing our channels and communities across all channels with creative ideas.
Team Support (10%)
- Support the team with general tasks as needed on an on-going basis.
- Assist program managers in case of exceptional circumstances.
- Help set up our space for events.
Our ideal candidate:
- Has demonstrated knowledge of, experience with, and interest in writing, social media, or event promotion
- Is on top of trends and curious about recent developments in marketing, social media and Swissnex related topics
- Has a creative flair, an ability to think outside the box and is excited to experiment with new forms or mediums of communications
- Has excellent communication skills, including command of written and spoken English, and is fluent in at least one Swiss language
- Familiarity with at least one of our communities of impact [entrepreneurs, artists & designers (games, industrial etc.), researchers & students, corporate innovators]
- Is an excellent problem-solver and team player, as well as proactive, independent, self-motivated, collaborative, energetic and detail-oriented. Flexibility and adaptability is crucial.
- Must have a service mentality and is committed to supporting the broader team
- Is willing to work evening hours occasionally to cover event communications
- Is curious to learn new things and share their thoughts and ideas with the broader team to improve existing processes
What we offer
- Be part of a small, dedicated, creative, and fun communications team
- Create content, within a team environment, to inspire and excite a variety of audiences
- Gain work experience in an innovation-driven and fast-paced environment, in one of the most dynamic regions of the world and collaborate with interesting partners in the fields of science, education, art and innovation in both Silicon Valley and Switzerland
- Develop events, programs and activity communications and content production skills and extend your personal network
- Internship compensation is CHF 3’200 / month, in compliance with guidelines of the Swiss Federal Government, and is paid locally each month in USD
Eligibility Criteria for Internship
- Candidate is a Swiss citizen
- Candidate currently studies in a university or university of applied sciences in Switzerland towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree OR the last university degree (Bachelor/Master) is not older than one year at the beginning of the internship (no exceptions are possible
- Candidate has not gained professional experience in the field of his/her studies
- The total period of internships (“Hochschulpraktikum”/ “Stage académique”, including this one) within the Swiss confederation does not exceed 6 months for candidates who have not yet obtained their Bachelor’s degree or 12 months for those with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree.
Ready to apply?
To be considered for the Communications Associate internship, you must apply through the link below and include your resume (CV) and a detailed cover letter not exceeding one page that answers:
1. why you are interested in this position and why you want to work at Swissnex,
2. why you should be chosen to join our team – including the experiences, personal qualities or strengths that make you well-suited for the position, and
3. tell us very briefly about one topic that you are passionate about that is connected to our work.
Any other documents that may support your candidacy are welcome and can be attached via the application platform linked below.
Click HERE to apply. Deadline to apply is Sunday, May 7, 2023.